Public buildings provide important spaces for our community to come together. Public buildings include ‘any building or part of a building where people assemble', such as churches, recreation centres, schools, hospitality venues and function centres.
For the comfort and safety of our community, these buildings must comply with requirements under the Health (Public Building) Regulations (1992).
Compliance assessment includes checking:
- emergency exists and locking devices
- maintenance of emergency lighting
- provision and maintenance of fire equipment including extinguishers and hose reels
- emergency evacuation procedures
- provision and maintenance of public ablution facilities
- adequate ventilation of the building.
Complete the Application for Certificate of Approval of a Public Building to begin your certification.
Apply for a Variation of Certificate of Approval if you need to make changes to an existing certification.